“Have faith that true love is meant to be and one day your rainbow will come shining through. No matter how sad your heart is, the love that you wish for will come true…if you believe.”
When a relationship is over, it’s time to let go. Holding onto a past love clutters up your heart and mind. Letting go opens up the space and possibilities to attract the man of your dreams. Try these things to stop dwelling on the relationship you had with your ex.
14 things to stop doing now
- Listening to love songs that remind you of him.
- Going to places where you spent time together.
- Thinking about the good times you had together.
- Communicating with him (erase his phone number, email address, texts, etc.).
- Being friends with benefits or being the other woman.
- Wishing and hoping that he’ll come back to you.
- Being in denial that it’s over.
- Looking at his pictures, cards, love letters and his Facebook page.
- Staying in contact with his friends and family.
- Talking continually about him with your friends, family and anyone who will listen.
- Trying to run into him in bars and nightclubs.
- Looking for him on online dating sites.
- Trying to make him jealous by flirting with or connecting with his male friends.
- Letting yourself get rundown (i.e. over-eating, not exercising, etc.).
In addition to stopping the above things, the following practices will help you transition and move forward with more ease and grace.
14 things to start doing now
- Find your happiness from within.
- Be grateful for the wonderful things in life.
- Find and focus on your passions.
- Get healthy from the inside out.
- Focus on the present moment and know that all is well.
- Connect and spend time with your family and friends.
- Enjoy hobbies and activities that you’ve been meaning to do.
- Do things to refresh, renew and soothe your soul.
- Exercise and workout.
- Listen to uplifting music.
- Keep a journal.
- Read positive books.
- Create a bucket list and start doing things on your list.
- Apply lessons (what you’ve learned) from your past relationships to create your ideal love life.
Be patient and gentle with yourself during this time. It takes courage to move forward and becomes easier once you start. Try a few of the stops and starts. As you become comfortable with them, take on additional ones.
I’d love to learn what you’ve done to let go of a past relationship that was dear to your heart. What steps are you taking or have you taken to move forward in a positive manner?